Wednesday, January 25, 2012

NO FRIENDS!

I am having a trip down memory lane this week.  Why?  Tomorrow my only son turns 21!  (Happy Birthday if you are reading this Son.) I am not sure where the time went?  Seriously.  It seems like yesterday I was in labour and now he is officially a man. 

It has sent my mind racing to where the time went, but also to all the moments that grew him into the godly man he has become.  For example, the time he and his big sis were in the pool and she tried to baptize him, but told him he had to repent first.  He exclaimed, "What is Repent?"  To which she answered, "Because you are a sinner you need to say sorry to Jesus!".  He yelled at the top of his 3 year old lungs, "I am not a sinner and if you say it again I will punch you in the mouth!"  Awwww good times. 

Thank goodness he did finally figure out he was a sinner and he did accept Jesus into his life.

 Another defining moment was when we moved to New York.

 He was a new 5th grader in a huge school.  He was also a quiet kid and shy kid.  (Man did he grow out of that.  I will take credit...or blame for that one)
He had been in school 4 months and they were about to have Christmas Break.  I had went up to the school to help with the class party and happened to pass by the lunch room.  There were over 365 kids...all 5th graders eating lunch.  It was crazy loud with kids yelling and teachers trying keep everyone in their seats.  I peeked in to see my son, when I noticed he was sitting all by himself.  Not a soul around him.  I was a little shocked.  Was he in trouble?  Was he having a bad day?  I let it go until after school.  When he came home I asked him why he had sat alone.  (I still tear up 10 years later thinking of his little face) He looked up with those beautiful M&M eyes and said, "I have no friends, I've been eating lunch alone since school started." 

I hugged him and put on my bravest face and said, with more confidence than I was feeling, "Then we are going to pray God sends you a friend!" (Then I went to the bathroom and cried really hard)
 We started praying everyday for God to please send a friend.  The next Sunday after church, my son busted through the auditorium doors yelling, "Mom, God answered our prayers!"  Sure enough God and brought a new family to visit that Sunday and they had a son in the 5th grade.  (Who was also quiet and shy.)  They immediately became buds.  They played in band together, quit band together, played football together, and Sr. Year Captained the Football team together.  Now they are both in Bible College together and share an apartment together.  (Actually, they are dating best friends.)  They also have birthday's the same week only 2 days apart!  God Truly Answered our prayers!

Looking back there were so many days I blamed God for moving us to New York,  from friends who we loved, and still love, to this day.  Why did God put my kids in that scary place?  Why couldn't He have made life easier on them?

 BECAUSE...God loves my kids more than Me.  He knew my son would learn one of the most valuable lessons in his life.  God cares, God loves him, God answers prayer.  He also knew that lesson would grow him up to Trust God with all of life's problems.  Big or small!

So Happy Birthday guys.  You know I love you and SO DOES GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment