Monday, January 9, 2012

REMEMBER WHEN?

Psalm 51:12 
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and make me willing to obey You. m


I had the privilege today to share my testimony with a couple of young ladies.  As I was driving home I realized it felt really great to remember, and talk about, what God did for me 32 years ago. 

I was a 13 year old, who was trying to figure out if I was a kid or a "REAL" teenager.  There was a lady in our church who was offering a class on how to do your hair and make-up.  I eagerly attended the class and actually learned some great tips on filing, painting, cleaning, curling, and conditioning.  It was great fun. 

At the end of the night, the lady stood up and said, "I'm so glad everyone had fun and enjoyed yourselves, BUT...let me ask a question.  If you left tonight and something tragic happened and you died and stood before God and He asked 'Why should I let you into heaven?' Do you know what you would say?"   She went on to say, "Knowing how to look good on the outside will not be good enough." 

I wasn't sure what I would say.  I had grown up in church, but I didn't have a answer.  I went that night and talked to my youth Pastor's wife.  We looked at scripture and I realized I was a sinner who needed a Savior.  That night I got on my knees and asked The Lord to save me.  A few months later I was baptized and that summer I went to youth camp and surrendered my life to full time ministry. 

That was over 32 years ago and I have never regretted that decision.  I have, however, had times where I forgot the joy of my salvation.  I have taken for granted what God did for me and forgotten, that I get to do what I do, because of what God did for me.

I'm guessing I'm not alone.  Why else would David have written Restore to me the joy of your salvation?  David didn't stop there.  He also asked for The Lord to make him willing to obey.  Maybe the two go hand in hand?  When we obey God it restores the Joy of our salvation.  We obey and it reminds us of Why we are obeying.  God has changed our life. He has given us hope and eternal life.

So if you have lost the joy of your salvation maybe there is an obedience problem...or maybe you just need to share with someone else and be reminded?

I'd love to hear your story...please share
 

No comments:

Post a Comment