Wednesday, January 18, 2012

FIGHTING CHANGE PART 2

As my son pulled out of the drive, to head back to college, I had that sick feeling in my stomach.  "I'm not going to cry, I'm not going to cry."  I kept saying to myself.  I didn't...right then.  The next day, out of no where, I burst into tears.  "I miss him so much,"  I cried.

No my son is not a freshman.  No this is not the first time he has been home for break and left.  In fact he is a Sr. this year.  He will graduate in May with a college degree.  His Dad and I are very, very proud of the godly man he has become.  YET.....

Why do I cry like it's his first time to leave?   CHANGE.   What does it mean if he graduates?  Will he ever come back home for a full break?  Will he move even further away to work?  It's all change and I hate it...even when it's good.

I heard this about change..." All beginnings are hard.  Change hurts, even when we choose it.  It is frightening, even when we boldly push forward.  It undoes us, and we never know what we will be like when the pieces are put back together again."  Amen!

We like sameness, routine, comfortable!  But Jesus clearly says in scripture...Hebrews 13:8 - Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever"    Only Jesus is the same. 

Max Lucado writes in his book "Just Like Jesus" - "God accepts you just the way you are, But He loves you enough not to let you stay that way.  He wants you to be Just Like Jesus."

So whether its a huge change like having a baby, losing a loved one, losing a job, sending your child into the world, or relocating.  Or a smaller change (But still feels huge to you) the way something is done at work, leadership change, new friends, or just new ideas. 

You have a choice to make.  You can deny it's happening and cry, fight, scream, get depressed, get bitter.  (Been there, done that, got the t-shirt- NOT YOUR BEST CHOICE, change still happens)
You can Cope.  Grit your teeth and endure.  Little bit of complaining and fighting, but as a whole you give it a try and hope it doesn't hurt too bad.
OR You can see it as a Divine Process or in Greek METANOIA = Move from Old to New.  Celebrate the change Get excited about what GOD, the one who loves you and has plans for you, is going to teach you and mold you into!

I wish I could say the latter has been my attitude ever time change has came into my life.  Baahaaha!  But as I am maturing I am learning to Ask What instead of Why? What awesome surprise do you have for me in this situation? Instead of Why can't it stay the same?   I have learned that God has my best at heart and NOTHING, not even man made changes come into my life without filtering through HIS Hands. 

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

What change has come into your life lately?  Is it BIG or SMALL?  How are you handling it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment