Tuesday, January 24, 2012

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR!

So I am doing a Beth Moore study on the life of David.  I absolutely love it! (Shocker)  But, the very first night God used the study to speak to my heart.  (Again, Shocker!)

We were studying the name of Saul.  It actually means "Asked For".  I know, you're saying "What's the big deal."  You're right, it's not that big of a deal, unless you read 1 Samuel 8:19-20.  Actually,  1 Samuel 8:1-20.

Here is the summery.  The people of Israel went to Samuel and "Asked For" a king to lead them.  The reason...."So we can be like other nations!"  

Well not only did they reject the Lord as their king, they "Asked For" a king so they could be like everyone else.  It cracked me up to think that God gave the people what they "Asked For".  A man named Saul which means "Asked For"  (Don't tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor!"

It made me start thinking.  How many times have I prayed for my kids, "God just help them fit in?"  (We have moved several times and it's always so hard to watch your kids struggle to make friends and not stick out as "The NEW kids".)

 I want my kids to fit in, because I know how hard it is to feel embarrassed and awkward and insecure.  But here is the truth.  As Children of God, we are NOT suppose to "Fit In".  We are to be the light in this dark world.  Think about that.  Turn off the lights and see how dark it is, then turn on the light.  What a contrast! That is how we are to be in this world.  Not like the other Nations.

Yes, it's hard watching your kids getting mocked because they went to See You At The Pole.  Yes, its hard when they have to explain why they can't date someone who doesn't believe like them.  Yes, it's hard when their friends criticize them for choosing to go to Youth Group instead of a party.  But, would I REALLY want them to "Fit In" and be like the other kids? 

I have been blessed to have 2 of my three children grow into mature, loving, godly adults.  I have 1 still growing, but she is on the right track.  We will pray for godly friends.  We will pray for boldness and courage to stand out.  We will pray for her to love God more than the praise of men!  But the one thing I will NOT be praying.  "Help her fit in and be like other kids!" 

Thank you Lord for NOT giving me what I asked for and help me be careful of what I DO ask for!

3 comments:

  1. very good! Do you think women struggle with this as much as men???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think women struggle more than men because we are so relational. We want, need, and were created for that nurturing, close, in your face, tell me your deepest secret relationships. So for us to feel like an outsider or that our kids feel left out kills us.

      Delete
  2. Excellent, Shelley! I don't want my kids to fit in either!

    ReplyDelete