Friday, January 6, 2012

LESSON FROM MY DOG

JOHN 21:7-8

I was going through a "dry" spell in my Christian life.  I wasn't mad.  There wasn't some terrible sin in my life.  I was just being lazy.  I was tired in the morning so guess what I would skip?  Yep, my quiet time.  When I wanted to talk it was on the phone, not to God.  Then I actually had the nerve to wonder why I didn't feel God in my life. 

One night before I went to bed I did pray and ask God, "Why do I not feel you near and What should I do?"  I went to sleep.  About 6 am the alarm went off.  I laid in bed having that old familiar conversation.  "If I just sleep a little longer, I can do my devotions later. Right? " "You understand God?  You know I need my sleep...You made me! lol" 

God laughed out loud all right.  Just as I was falling back to sleep my dog started barking and scratching at the door.  I knew if I didn't get up he would leave me a surprise somewhere in the house and it would NOT be a good start to my day.  I reluctantly got out of bed and let the dog out.  Well, I was awake now so I might as well go ahead and read my bible.  I read John 21.

When I got to verse 7-8 I realized something eye opening.  Peter, even though he had denied Jesus 3 times, was so excited that Jesus was on the shore, he jumped out of the boat and swam to shore.  He was only a few yards out, but he couldn't wait.  That's when God spoke to me..."When was the last time you jumped out of bed to see Me?"  OUCH! 

I had jumped out of bed to keep the dog from making messes in my house; but I couldn't get out of bed to hear what MY God, The God of the universe, had to say to me.  I confessed my sin and laziness right then and there and thanked God for being patient and speaking to me.  Even if He had to use my dog to get my attention!
  Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, "It is the Lord," he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water.  The other disciples followed in the boat, towing the net full of fish, for they were not far from shore, about a hundred yards.

1 comment:

  1. I pray for that kind of enthusiasm to meet the Lord in the morning! Thanks for the "wake-up call"!

    ReplyDelete