Thursday, January 12, 2012

DID I SAY THAT?

If you are friends with me at all, or if you have heard me speak then you have heard this story.  (Not one of my finer moments!)

We were young in ministry and expecting our first baby.  I was about 5 or 6 months pregnant and very excited about wearing maternity clothes and FINALY showing.  (I know, first child.  The thrill was gone by baby 3...but that's another blog) 

ANYWAY,  It was a Sunday morning and I was standing in the lobby of the church shaking hands next to my husband.  This lovely young couple came through the doors and she rubbed my stomach and said, "Awww when are you expecting?"   Again I was young and excited, I proudly answered, "September!"  Then I proceeded to rub her stomach and ask, "What about you?"    I know you know what is coming!  She looked embarrassed or maybe it was anger?  Then replied, "Ummm, I'm not pregnant!"

My hand jerked off her stomach like it was on fire.  It didn't really matter because my face was on fire.  I apologized a thousand times.  WHAT DO YOU SAY?  My husband nearly shoved me through the wall, but it was too late.  I had said it!

Years later I still turn red when I tell...or write that story.  How did that come out of my mouth? 

Not long ago I realized something.   God taught me valuable lessons from that one very embarrassing situation.
 Proverbs 12:18  Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing.


James 1:5  If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

I did not intend to hurt that ladies feelings.  For the most part I would never use my words to hurt someone else.  But without wisdom my words can hurt.  So if I don't want that to happen... I need to ask God for wisdom.  Wise words bring healing.  That is what I want!

I also learned that even if you are in labor and the baby's  head is hanging out...I WON'T ASK IF YOU ARE PREGNANT!

No comments:

Post a Comment