Friday, February 24, 2012

THE HIKE

Last weekend I had the awesome privledge of seeing my son and his friends at college.  The weather turned out to be so beautiful that we decided on saturday to take a "little" hike up the mountain. 

 Now the original sight we wanted to see was only about a 15 minute hike...But Once we got there, my son's roomate asked if we wanted to get a "little more exercise and see more of the mountian. My son's roomate worked on the trails there and said he knew of a great spot that looked out over the mountain. It was such a beautiful day, so why not?

I soon found out why not....almost 2 hours later.  I had lost feeling in my shins, thighs, and booty!  I was sweaty, tired, and my mouth was so dry I could spit cotton.   All I could see was the mountain in front of us, that kept climbing up!  When we finally got to the top and it was really beautiful. 

I wish I could say I drank it all in and enjoyed the majesty of nature and how creative God is!  I can't, because all I could think of was getting down the mountain to sonic and getting a 44oz Cherry Limade...(it was happy hour!) 

The next day I realized I had not allowed myself to enjoy the hike as much as I should have.  I got great exercise, fresh air, and I did sleep like a baby that night.   It had really been a great day, but I was not as prepared as I would have liked (like using the bathroom and bringing water) so I didn't get as much joy out of it, as I should have.

How many times have we done that in our life?  God has the days planned for us.  He says so in Psalms 139:16.  He also says in 2 Timothy 3:17 "That using scriptures, the person who serves God will be capable, having all that is needed to do every good work." 

Everyday God has something wonderful to show us, but we choose to sleep in, not open his word, so we feel so unprepared that we miss the adventure laid out before us.  God has given us all we need in His Word and through the Holy Spirit living in us, that we have all we need to "Hike" through each day and enjoy it.  Didn't God also say He came to give us life MORE abundantly! 

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be at the end of life and realize I never fully enjoyed the view!

And Bryan I take back all the bad things I said about you...You can still be friends with Stephen!  Love you man!

No comments:

Post a Comment